Thursday, July 01, 2004

How to be Frank Miller

[Mood - Ambitious]
[Music - Sisters of Mercy - No Time to Cry]

"You don't get to be Frank Miller by drawing a nice picture of Daredevil. You get to be Frank Miller by spending ten years studying Will Eisner and B Krigstein pages and working out for yourself just what makes them good." -Warren Ellis

So, that's all it takes, eh? "Hey... I can do it."

So... by July 1, 2014 I should be in some how, some way involved in comics. If I decide this is something I really want to go after, then I'm willing to committ the time and effort. I'm still at the stage where I'm not too sure, but I want to give it a shot.

Researching the comics business, I've learned a little on what's involved in producing a comic from the perspective of an editor. There's alot of work involved, and I'll spare the details, but it's overwhelming. I'm not scared off, though. I'm willing to learn and put in my time.

Right now I'm concentrating on the basics. I'm trying not to get too saturated with current titles. I'm trying to get my hands on every Planetary book. I started reading Fantastic Four, although I've never been a fan (seeing what Ellis is doing with established superheros these days) ...Astonish X-Men (because of Joss Whedon & John Cassaday) and NYX. That's not too bad.

Today I purchased the DC Guide to Writing Comics, by Denny O'Neil. I've learned quite a bit in the first 30 pages. I think I'm off to a good start. I just want to learn the basics of writing before I dive into the actual craft of creating a comic.

Of all the things I've heard about the industry going downhill, comic shops closing, and sales not what they used to be, it hasn't scared me away. I'm genuinely curious about what I can do in this industry.

I'm in no way getting away from graphic design. In fact, I plan on persuing my bachelors degree in design. I also want to write. I've been doing fan fiction for so long (on red flags, please) that I want to go to the next level. Don't care if it's going to be a slow process. Don't even mind so much that my chances of writing for DC or Marvel are a less than slim, but I don't care.

This year I've learned that you need to work hard and stick to your guns. It sounds like a cliche, but it's worked for me so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home