Friday, June 18, 2004

Strangers in Literary Paradise

[ mood | aggravated ]
[ music | Claire Voyant - Love the Giver ]

I'm at Borders yesterday, in the art section when this woman comes up to me and starts talking.

She was in her mid 30s, and had a heavy accent. She asked me if I was in art school, and I told her the status of my design career. She said her husband used to be a designer, but is now in health care. She goes on about how they moved to this country from Mexico City, and now she works as a beauty consultant or something.

I'm very untrusting of strangers. I always think that if someone comes up to me and just starts talking... that means somethings up. I was being friendly responding, but I couldn't pinpoint why she was talking to ME.

Out of nowhere, this guy sitting in the only chair in the art section turns around and asks her what she thought of his hair. He looked like he was in his mid-20s, and he's going on about his hair and skin... but he's also asking me for my opinion on his fucking hair and skin.

He then starts asking her how long her and her husband have been living in the Valley, and how Allentown hates artists, and how bad racism is the further out into the countryside you go. He goes on about how he's Jewish, and how minorities have a bad rep in the Valley. She responds with an observation on how many people in this country don't realize how good they have it, compared to what she grew up with in Mexico City.

The guy starts talking bad about Bush (which I don't give a shit about), but at this point the woman is a bit creeped out by this guy. She politely excuses herself and leaves the section.

I silently thanked the guy for getting her off my back, but I really wasn't interested in talking with him. So, after a minute or two, I politely excuse myself and head over to the sociology section.

A few minutes later...that woman comes around. "What was that all about? I didn't understand anything he was talking about." She said, and I laughed and shrugged.

Then she goes into it... "My husband and I also help people build businesses on the web. We help people make more income by training them to run their own business online. With the way the economy is today, and job security not so secure anymore, this would be a good opportunity for you."

Would it now? Let's see... I'll invest my valuable time to you (someone I don't know) and probably have to invest money (that I don't have) into something I know nothing about (and have no interest in). You know, I wish this opportunity would've came to me BEFORE I decided to work two jobs.

I politely declined her offer, and she actually left me alone.

All I wanted to do was a little research. It's not often that I meet new people, but why do they have to try to get something out of me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home