Friday, February 23, 2007

Talking to Clients

Why do I sometimes fumble when talking to clients?

I was asked recently to quote a website design for a photographer. I would've loved to do the job, however, his needs exceeded my ability. He wanted a website that could be updated on a regular basis, with the ability to sell prints online. I could've done the job, but the time committment would've been a lot, especially with full-time work, and my summer plans. So, I referred him to an online photoservice instead... thus turning down a job. He appreciated my honesty, but I can't help but wonder if I should've just done it anyway?

Flanimals illustration by Rob Steen

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My policy is to help the client in the best way possible. At the end of the day, it is about what they need, not you making money. I'd much rather send a client to someone else who can do a better job or who has more time than I do. You left a positive impression in the client's mind and hopefully they'll remember that. It didn't cost you anything and they might bring you work in the future. It is better than over committing and perhaps not completing a job to their satisfaction.

1:10 PM  
Blogger L.G. Vazquez said...

That's true. After writing this up, I realized that helping him now, may help me later.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home