Saturday, February 24, 2007

New Work: BeryLicious Identity

Wednesday, I get the call from Kissimmee, Florida. Cafe is opening next week, and the new owner forgot to call me two weeks ago. Now, they need a new logo. I'm in Pennsylvania, so they describe the place and menu, and I ask the right questions (no fumbles) and accept the challenge.

They wanted me to include the Microsoft clip art included in the mock-up they sent me (to represent coffee and food.) Thankfully, I was able to persuade them to detach from it, if I could come up with a better representation for 'food' ...and 'cafe' is a given that they have coffee. After presenting several options, I thought they'd go for the strait one, but they preferred the top one. I can't wait to visit next time I'm in Florida. Although, secretly, I just want to see the logo I created on the sign, menu, and everywhere else they use it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The top logo is definitely more fun. Did you consider making the "Lici us" orange and keeping the Bery and the utensils purple? I think the capital L does a good job of breaking up the words, but the color change might have added more visual interest. I like the utensils, but they make the logo a little unbalanced. My eye goes there first and then drifts left and then back right to read the words. Not sure that's actually a problem, though.

1:05 PM  
Blogger L.G. Vazquez said...

The notion of noticing the untencils first didn't strike me until you said something. It is a harsher contrast between the rest of the letterforms. I'm not sure if it's a problem either. Client really seemed to like it. I know, it doesn't 'make it so' but, you bring up a good point.

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always secretly hope that the client will realize that my concept is brilliant and come around to my way of thinking. But they most often go with some awful variant that they insist I do "just to see what it looks like." I cringe to think of the design being out there in the world while the cooler design sits around in my portfolio.

12:18 PM  
Blogger L.G. Vazquez said...

Think about ALL of the designs that have only lived in the portfolio, never to know the true glory that is the identity.

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home